Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I Love Me...I Love Me, Not?

Twas a Monday…Not a bad Monday but not necessarily a good one. Aside from the general suckiness of Mondays as a whole, I was also having a pretty stressful day at work and wasn't feeling too hot because the Red Death was upon me (See what I did there GOT fans - LOL *smiley face*). Anyway, after work I decided the best thing to do was head to Sephora for a little pick me up and maybe buy myself a little pretty.

When I got home later that night, for some super random reason I started thinking about the little mermaid – Yes, Disney’s the little mermaid. Don’t ask me why. Anyway, I got to thinking about that song Ariel sings in the cave with all of her knick knacks and whatchamacallits, you know, Part of your world. The song starts with the line “I want to be, where the people are…” yaddie, yaddie yadda. So of course I decided to do what any sane, rational person would do and that was begin to craft my response to Ariel's "directed at no one in particular" statement. And so, my response to her would have gone as follows:


Pardon me, you want to what? Be where these people are? Part of this world you say? Hold on a sec, explain this to me one more time, because I can’t quite comprehend. B**ch, you’re an effin mermaid?!?! You can swim in the ocean at your leisure with no f’s given. You can breathe under water AND get your hair wet without having to think twice. I can barely get my ass in the tub without a nose plug and some GD goggles, but YOU want to be where I’m at?!
PAUSE. FLAG ON THE PLAY


Look, The Little Mermaid is in fact one of my favorite Disney Princess movies but right then and there I realized just how young they begin to train little girls not to like who they are and to undervalue what’s good about themselves for the sake of someone else. Heck, don’t even get me started on my theory about Disney’s contempt for mother figures – Case in point: In almost every princess film the mother is already dead (Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid), about to die (Bambi), OR an evil stepmother of sorts (Snow White, Cinderella, Rapunzel, shall I continue?); leaving these adolescent girls with no positive female role models. 

Yes I know...#MINDOFFICIALLYBLOWN



#WalksOffAndDropsMic


Now, I’m sure that wasn't the intent of the song or the movie (eh, still not so sure. Sorry not sorry) BUT for the purpose of this blog post I’m going to focus on the negative and keep on going. Literary freedom!

Anywho, #IsItJustMe or does it seem like these little ones are doomed out the gate. They’re immediately taught to want to be like everyone else; to covet what other people have; to look like this girl, or the next. I mean I don’t know if you noticed, but the moment Ariel was unavailable, prince Eric was onto the next b***h. Granted, the witch did make herself a little look-a-like, but he went from being head-over-heels in love with Ariel, to ready to marry o’girl because her voice sounded familiar. That ain’t nothing but the old school equivalent to “You sound cute over the phone”. 

And this is the guy Ariel wants to change her entire being for?





Ehhhhhhhh...Neh


All I’m saying is, we have to teach them (and each other) to be confident in who they/we are and to stop worrying about what other people are doing. Teach them that they are not disposable. That who they are is worthy -- I think now would be the time for me to throw in an inspirational quote photo of the line “You is kind, you is smart, you is important” from The Help, but, not gonna do it.





I admit it, I too can be guilty of allowing the insecurities get to me; I’m human. But the older I get, the more I realize the importance of knowing that I already have what makes me enough. 


So, until you love you the way Kanye loves Kanye, you’ll just have to fake it until you make it.










In the meantime (and speaking of Kanye), here’s a little theme music for inspiration:

I’m the Sh*t – DJ Class ft. Kanye West and Estelle






4 comments:

  1. Several things:
    1. I am also guilty of taking myself to Sephora for a pick me up (I'm weening myself off of Flamin' Hots, don't judge).
    2. "I can barely get my ass in the tub without a nose plug and some GD goggles, but YOU want to be where I’m at?!" >> iHOLLERED.
    3. I never realized your point about Disney movies and mothers. I did realize the needing a man thing but the mothers? Whoa.
    4. I know Kanye gets a bad rap. But I love him. Mostly because all he wants to do is achieve his dreams. And if he has to yell for you to hear them, so be it.

    (I may or may not have just danced to the entire song)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 - This is a Judgement Free zone and that song does get the moves going lol
    2 - Disney has got to chill. Granted they've been trying with these new ones but still, can we get some mommy love lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, this was amazing, particularly because as a child whenever I was anywhere near a pool or the ocean I'd pretend I was Ariel because SHE HAD THE PERFECT LIFE. Who wouldn't want to kick it in the ocean all day?

    But you're so right. It all begins at a young age...but this is why apparently movies like Brave and Frozen are supposed to be more empowering. Maybe we need a Disney movie night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaassssss. I haven't seen Frozen or Brave and heard both were fantastic. Let's make it happen cap'n.

      Delete